Wednesday 17 July 2019

Day 3 - Almaty

Jetlag got the best of me this morning, unfortunately. I woke up at 2:30 AM and could not get back to sleep, I laid in bed tossing and turning for ages before giving up and watching some TV on my phone (I’m re-watching all the seasons of the good wife), and doing some reading. By 6:30 AM I noticed Dave starting to toss and turn and figured we could both get up and get ready to start the day. 

We decided to venture outside of the hotel this morning for breakfast. I turned to Google to see what kind of options we could find nearby. 

We struck gold. We found the most amazing cafĂ© called Big Apple  It had fantastic coffees and every single breakfast choice that we made was amazing. From cream cheese pancakes, to a variation on Eggs Benny to an avocado toast served with quinoa and rocket lettuce…we were in food heaven.








We felt a little museum’d out from our escapades yesterday. Today we decided to head for the pedestrian shopping area and just explore the city a little more aimlessly on foot. We found fountains to play in and lovely areas to walk through. We then decided that finding a spot to sit and have some lunch and some cold drinks would hit the spot. It’s really hot here at 35-38 degrees, so we are finding that we tire more easily. 








We found a wonderful little place called Fresco Cafe. The cocktails and beer were cold and refreshing and they served a variety of great snack options. It was a lovely way to spend a few hours and stay out of the sun. Travelling doesn’t always have to be about hitting every tourist destination in sight, sometimes sitting on a patio and doing as the locals do is a great way to see a city, in my opinion at least!





We then walked back to our hotel to cool down and rest. Cold showers all around! I did some blogging and the girls relaxed with their devices. Dave got in a good power nap and was feeling invigorated a few hours later. 

Knowing myself I could not take a nap or I would not be able to get back up again. I have the worst ability to take short naps. If I put my head on that pillow I just can’t get back up again. It’s like I’m drowning in my sleep. I’m not sure if this is just me or what, but after years of the same, I’m trying to combat it in a new way - no napping! I kept awake as best as I could despite being up since 2:30am. 

Around supper time we had some appies and drinks in our room and all the girls decided that they weren’t hungry for dinner. We stayed in and tried to stay awake as long as we could. 

The boys headed out for dinner and landed in a Shisha Place. From what I understand, they had a great time eating, drinking and puffing away. I didn’t wake at all when Dave came back in. 




No comments:

Post a Comment