Thursday 11 July 2019

Day 1 - Vancouver to Seoul

Well we are off. It always amazes me how much laundry we produce in the last 24hrs before a trip. It seems to multiply on me and it always seems as though I’m waiting for that darn dryer to finish until late in the night before a departure. 

Our flight wasn’t until 10:50 am so it was a pretty respectable morning. Up around 6:45 to turn the dryer back on, then showers, changing bed sheets for Mark who is holding down the fort and my husband even found time to get me one last JJ Bean before we left. 





We packed incredibly lightly on this trip - I went for the capsule wardrobe packing and really was able to limit myself to very few items. It’s going to be so hot that it doesn’t matter much what we pack - we are going to be sweaty and uncomfortable all the time - so that seemed to make clothing decisions easier somehow. Avery and Fiona managed to fit their stuff into one small suitcase and Cadence took the first aid, toiletries and electronics in her bag with her clothes. We will be moving around a lot so I didn’t want to have a million bags to keep track off. With 4 suitcases and 5 backpacks, it will be a feat keeping everything with us. 

We kissed the bunnies and Hazel goodbye and headed out the door just after 8am. Only 10mins behind schedule. Not bad considering I had to fold 3 loads of clothes! 

Being close to the Canada Line, getting to the airport is a cinch. We arrived 30mins later, printed our boarding passes and baggage tags at the kiosk and dropped our bags at the baggage kiosk. I think that’s the first time in Vancouver that I’ve been able to do it all without interacting with an agent. Painless...just the way we like it!

Security is now a breeze with the kids being older. I remember the days when we had diaper bags and bottles and strollers....argh - what a serious drag. Now the kids carry their own crap and put it through the scanner all on their own. I’m excited for our travels with them now that they are so much more independent. 

We loaded up with coffee and snacks and boarded on time. Now we are 5 hours into our 11 hour flight to Seoul. We will have a 4.5hour layover there before our flight to Almaty, Kazakhstan. 



I’m trying to get up and move around and much as possible. Fiona asked me why I’m standing here for so long but I can’t stand the thought of being cooped up in my seat for 11 hours. These long legs will seize up! My folks are up in the fancy business class seats, and while the plane is actually quite empty, it’s still tight quarters back here. I’m interested to see if standing more than I have in the past will lessen the yucky feeling you often have after travelling for so long. 

Dave has asked me for the 5th time why the wifi in the plane isn’t working. If he wasn’t so cute I might...honestly! 

What’s so cool is that our stewardess asked where we were going and when we told her she was so excited as her recent ancestry test has revealed that she is from the Kazakhstan region. I’ve shared our blog address with her and hopefully our stories will bring her joy and she will have the opportunity to get “home” one day soon. 

That’s all for now. I’ve watched two good movies so far: “The Favourite” which was awesome and “Isn’t it Romantic”  with Rebel Wilson which was entertaining. I’ve managed to write a bunch of work notes for an assignment I didn’t get done before leaving while listening to MØ, and I’ve been bopping along to “Milky Chance” while I write this. Another first for me as I’ve tended to just watch movies on long plane rides to pass the time. It’s actually nice to walk around with your music cranked up. My feet are actually getting tired now from standing, so back to watch another movie! May the rest of our journey be as carefree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment